Superfood Berry Smoothie Bowl
This sweet and creamy smoothie bowl is brimming with nutritional “superfoods,” including raw cacao powder, goji berries, seeds, nut butter and berries. It makes for an awesome breakfast and is packed with protein, meaning it will keep you going all morning. I like to top with an assortment of textures and flavors, such as toasted coconut, cacao nibs, fresh berries and chopped nuts or a bit of granola. If you prefer to drink this as a smoothie or if you don’t have a high-speed blender, you can use a food processor, or simply add another ¼ - ½ cup of milk or so, until you get a pourable consistency.
- 1– 1 ½ cups nut milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 frozen bananas, each cut into thirds
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries, such as wild blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and/or raspberries
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or nut butter of your choice)
- 1-2 tablespoons goji berries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon hemp, chia or flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
- Toppings, such as cacao nibs, toasted coconut flakes, chopped toasted nuts, fresh berries or sliced fruit, and/or granola for serving
Pour 1 cup of the almond milk into the Vitamix, and add the bananas, followed by the other ingredients.
Blend until smooth, pushing the ingredients towards the blade using the tamper. Depending on the size of your bananas, you might need to add another splash or two of milk if the smoothie is too thick.
Divide the smoothie into bowls, and garnish with the toppings of your choice.
- Add the liquid first: this will help the food to circulate around the blade. I use nut milk, but you could use any kind of milk you drink. Coconut water is also a good option.
- Next add frozen fruit: I love frozen berries, but other options include: frozen mango, pineapple chunks, or cherries. Frozen banana gives the smoothie bowl a rich, creamy texture without the need for added ice.
- Follow with more delicate foods: Now's the time to pile in softer foods, such as fresh spinach or kale, if using, as well as nuts and seeds.
- Stir with the tamper: If using a Vitamix, stir the smoothie with the tamper while blending, increasing the speed gradually to high, until the mixture is thick and creamy.