This silky Comte cheese fondue is easy to make and utterly irresistible! It makes for a fun, hands-on dinner that the whole family loves. If you can’t find Comté, try a good quality Gruyere or Emmenthaler, or a mix of both.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound mature Comté (preferably 10-18 months), shredded (about 5 cups shredded)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Good quality crusty bread, cut or torn into bite-sized pieces
- Steamed or roasted vegetables (such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and/or fingerling potatoes), sausages and sliced apples for serving (optional)
In a large bowl, toss the shredded Comté and cornstarch until well combined.
Rub the inside of fondue pot with cut sides of garlic. Discard garlic. Add wine and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add a quarter of the Comté and stir until melted. Continue stirring in cheese, a quarter at a time, until melted. Cook, stirring, until fondue is completely smooth and richly coats the back of a spoon. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Serve the hot fondue with crusty bread for dipping, along with steamed vegetables, sausages and apple slices, if you wish.