Rutabaga, Apple & Walnut Slaw
I know what you’re thinking. Rutabaga? In a slaw? Trust me on this! It has a hint of cabbage flavor and a firm texture, making it absolutely delicious in a classic slaw. The tart green apple adds a zippy sweetness and the walnuts give added crunch. This is great with meat dishes (anything pork) or piled on sandwiches.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium rutabaga or kohlrabi , peeled
- 1 tart green apple , cored (unpeeled)
- ¼ cup toasted , chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil.
Shred the rutabaga and the apple in a food processor or by hand. Put them in a large bowl and toss with the dressing. Fold in the walnuts and chives. Taste and season with additional salt or pepper, if needed. Do Ahead: The slaw can be made up to 2 hours in advance and refrigerated.