I’m so excited to be featuring another recipe from a friend this week! This coconut cashew curry soup is adapted from Karrie Truman’s new cookbook, Seriously Good Freezer Meals: 150 Easy Recipes to Save Your Time, Money & Sanity (Robert Rose, 2018). I met Karrie last year at a food conference, and it was like meeting a soul sister. We instantly bonded over Korean food, our mutual passion for feeding our families well while balancing crazy schedules, and the universal challenges of mom-hood (although she one-ups me… er two-ups me… there with four kids). Karrie started creating make-ahead meals on the weekends when her kids were young, which she would freeze for the week or month ahead. The lady has made over 50 meals in ONE DAY (that qualifies her as some sort of superhero, right?)! She’s seriously obsessed, and her book showcases over 150 dinners, breakfasts, desserts and everything in-between.
Creamy coconut cashew soup
This coconut cashew soup is adapted from Karrie’s Coconut Cashew Basil Curry Soup, which is in the book. It’s dead-simple to make, with a quick curry base that gets whizzed up in the food processor (you know how much I love my food processor!), along with sautéed chicken, coconut milk and chicken broth. It gets topped with fresh basil, cilantro, crunchy cashews, and jalapeños for a pop of heat. I like to serve the soup with a big scoop of brown rice to soak up all the broth.
You can eat it right away or freeze it for the week (or month!) ahead. I currently have a batch waiting for me in the freezer, which we’re eat on Thursday night since I’ll be working late. Ahhh, there are few things as satisfying as having a nutritious dinner at the ready the minute I walk in the door, without having to lift a finger. 🙂
Coconut Cashew Curry Soup
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- Brown rice, optional
- Roasted, salted cashews
- Chopped fresh basil
- Cilantro leaves
- Sliced jalapeño pepper
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the granulated garlic (or, if you have garlic salt, you can use that instead as Karrie does). Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Working in batches, cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeño pepper. Process until smooth.
- In a large pot, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the curry base from the food processor along with the curry powder. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture is sizzling and smells delicious. Add the coconut milk, chicken broth and basil, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook 15 minutes. Add the chicken and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve the soup with a scoop of brown rice if you’d like, and top with cashews, basil, cilantro and jalapeño pepper slices.
I’d love to hear what you’re cooking, and I’m happy to answer any questions! #FromScratchFast
*This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale (at no cost to you). Thank you for supporting FromScratchFast!!