This simple low sugar green smoothie is like a fuel pump for the body—it’s recharging, neutralizing and satisfying. In other words, it’s the perfect reset when you’re craving something nutritious and delicious. The smoothie is packed with fiber, protein, vitamins and nutrients and it can be made sugar free. With only 6 ingredients, it’s an easy green smoothie that can be whipped up in minutes. Don’t miss the step-by-step video below!
This post was sponsored by Almond Breeze Almondmilk, but all opinions and recipes are mine alone. Thank you to all the companies that help keep From Scratch Fast cooking!
Easy low sugar green smoothie
This simple green smoothie is one of my go-to breakfasts and snacks. It’s also a fantastic way to reset after a long night (ahem, if you know what I mean) or if you’re feeling off-balance (like, say, after the holidays). It’s creamy, nourishing and alkalizing, and it has enough protein to keep you going.
- Vanilla Almondmilk: Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk gives the smoothie an ultra creamy texture and provides a delicious flavor without any added sugar.
- Frozen banana or stevia to taste: This smoothie is sweetened either with half a frozen banana OR with stevia (using stevia will make the smoothie completely sugar free).
- Baby spinach, baby kale and/or “power greens” mix: Fresh greens amp up the nutritional value of this smoothie by adding important vitamins and minerals. I prefer to use baby greens or a “power greens” mix, which are mild in flavor.
- Peanut butter or almond butter (or any nut or seed butter you like!): Nut butter provides protein and healthy fats, which are necessary for nutrient absorption. For a nut-free smoothie use sunflower seed butter.
- Ground flax seeds: Ground flax seeds are a great source of fiber and also provide protein (they also thicken the smoothie).
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds boost the fiber and protein content further and also help to thicken the smoothie.
- Sea salt: A pinch of sea salt provides electrolytes and balances the flavors.
- Spirulina or other “green” powder and/or collagen powder (optional): You have the choice to add a green powder (this is the one I use) for added vitamins and minerals and/or collagen powder for added protein.
How to make a simple green smoothie:
Pour the almond milk into a blender container, then add the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until smooth. If you have a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix you’ll only need to blend for about 30 seconds. Other blenders might take up to 1-2 minutes.
You can drink the smoothie right away, or you can let it sit for up to 1 hour before drinking. If you let it sit, the flax and chia seeds will thicken the smoothie slightly.
The ice in this smoothie is optional. I personally don’t like super cold drinks, especially during fall and winter. If you’re like me, then I suggest omitting the ice (the smoothie will still be chilled from the almond milk). However, if you prefer your smoothies frosty, then go for it!
I recommend using no more than 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds per 2 cups of liquid. You can add more flaxseeds if you prefer, but the smoothie will thicken and could turn gritty.
This smoothie is sweetened naturally with either half a banana, or you can make a sugar free (no fruit) smoothie by using stevia (you can use liquid stevia or powdered stevia, to taste). Another option here is Almond Breeze Almondmilk Blended with Real Bananas! It contains half a banana in each serving and is made with real banana puree, so it doesn’t have any added sugar or artificial banana flavor.
Since this smoothie can be made with stevia, it’s an unsweetened, low-glycemic green smoothie that’s a good choice for diabetics.
I prefer to use baby spinach, baby kale or a “power greens” mix, which are all mild in flavor. Since there are so few ingredients, stronger tasting greens, such as mature kale or Swiss chard, will overpower the other flavors.
Other smoothie recipes to try:
Healthy meals you might like:
Watch the video!
I'd love to answer any of your questions and see what you're cooking!! Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below. Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube & Pinterest, and be sure to tag @fromscratchfast so that I can share your creations!
Get the recipe!
Low Sugar Simple Green Smoothie
- 2 cups Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk
- ¼-1/2 cup ice cubes (optional)
- ½ frozen banana and/or stevia, to taste
- 1 ½ cups baby spinach, baby kale and/or “power greens” mix
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Pinch sea salt
- Optional add-ins: spirulina or other “green” powder and/or collagen powder
- In a blender, combine the Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk, ice cubes (if using), banana and/or stevia, greens, nut butter, flax seeds, chia seeds and a pinch of sea salt. If using any add-ins, throw them in. Blend on high until the smoothie is very smooth, 30 seconds - 2 minutes, depending on your blender.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass. Enjoy it right away, or let it sit for up to 1 hour before drinking (the smoothie will thicken as it sits).
- I prefer to use baby spinach, baby kale and/or a “power greens” mix for this smoothie, which are milder in flavor than mature greens (which will overpower the other flavors).
- Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk gives the smoothie creaminess and a delicious flavor without any added sugar.
- The ice in this recipe is optional (depending on how cold you like your beverages!).
- Using frozen (instead of fresh) banana will create a richer, thicker texture, but if you don't have one you can use fresh banana instead.
- You can use either powdered stevia or liquid stevia, according to what you have and like.
- For more protein, feel free to add a neutral collagen powder.
- A green powder mix gives the smoothie a bigger boost of vitamins and minerals, but it’s optional (this is the brand I use).
- A pinch of sea salt balances the flavors and provides electrolytes.
*This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links to products I use and love (from which I earn income, at no cost to you). Thank you or supporting From Scratch Fast!