This strawberry frozen yogurt recipe is sweet and creamy, with a luscious soft serve texture that rivals anything you can buy at the store. Best of all, it gets whipped up in minutes in the food processor or Vitamix!
Strawberry frozen yogurt recipe without an ice cream maker
Ice cream is one of my family's very favorite desserts. When we're craving a mid-week treat, I blend up healthy, soft-serve style ice creams using the food processor or high-speed blender. My kids have no idea they're getting something that's good for them, and I get to feel like a superhero (homemade ice cream in minutes! zoom!). In my first book I feature a banana ice cream that's made simply with frozen bananas and milk (they go right into the food processor, and voila! creamy banana ice cream!), and in my Bluprint class I make this homemade BLIZZARD (need I say more?!).
Healthy strawberry frozen yogurt
Since my kids are strawberry-obsessed, I developed this strawberry frozen yogurt recipe as an after-school snack. It's made with frozen strawberries, honey for sweetness, lime zest for brightness, and thick Greek yogurt. If I have vanilla bean on hand, I also scrape in the seeds for added flavor. The girls adore it, and I love that they're getting something that's naturally sweetened and packed with protein.
We usually can’t resist eating the frozen yogurt straight out of the food processor (it's like a super thick milkshake), but you can freeze it for 20-30 minutes to set up slightly like soft serve. Either way, the result is a creamy, luscious treat that tastes like the simplicity of childhood (and couldn’t we all use a little bit more of that?).
How to make strawberry frozen yogurt
- This frozen yogurt gets made right in a food processor or Vitamix. Start by blending frozen strawberries until they're coarsely chopped. Then add the remaining ingredients and process until thick and creamy (if you're using a Vitamix, stir with the tamper as you blend).
- Use whole fat (5%) Greek yogurt for the best flavor. Freezing the yogurt containers for 20-30 minutes gives the frozen yogurt a jump-start, but if you don't have time, don't stress it!
- A touch of lime zest brightens up the flavors (I couldn't live without my microplane for zesting citrus and grating garlic). You can also add ½ teaspoon of lime juice for an even zippier flavor.
- Fresh vanilla bean seeds take this frozen yogurt over the top, but you can use vanilla extract instead.
- Since this frozen yogurt contains no corn syrup and isn't churned in an ice cream maker, it will freeze solid if frozen for too long. If that's the case, just leave it out at room temperature until it's soft enough to scoop.
Other frozen treats to try:
- No-Churn Vegan Mango Ice Cream
- Easiest Ever Homemade Blizzard
- Healthy Strawberry Cottage Cheese Smoothies
- Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches (GF & Vegan Friendly)
Get the Recipe!
Easy Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Recipe (without an ice cream maker!)
- 2 7- ounce containers (1 ⅔ cups) plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (5% fat content)
- 10 ounces (about 2 heaping cups) frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon lime zest (optional)
- Seeds from ½ vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Before beginning, pace the yogurt containers in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to chill (this will help the frozen yogurt to set up faster, but if you don't have time you can skip this step and proceed with the recipe).
- Put the frozen strawberries into a food processor or Vitamix and process until the berries are coarsely chopped.
- Add the yogurt (from the freezer) and the remaining ingredients. Process, scraping down the sides and stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and creamy (if using a Vitamix, stir with the tamper while blending). You can serve the frozen yogurt right away like a thick milkshake, or you can transfer it to a loaf pan and freeze it for 20-30 minutes, stirring once or twice, to set up slightly.
- This frozen yogurt is meant to be eaten right away or after a quick freeze. If frozen for a long period of time, it will get very hard. If that happens, simply leave it out at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to soften before scooping.
- Use whole fat (5%) Greek yogurt for the best flavor.
- A touch of lime zest brightens up the flavors (I couldn't live without my microplane for zesting citrus and grating garlic). You can also add ½ teaspoon of lime juice for a zippier flavor.
- Fresh vanilla bean seeds take this frozen yogurt over the top, but you can use vanilla extract instead. To scrape out the seeds of the vanilla bean, cut it in half lengthwise, then use the back of a small knife to scrape out the seeds.
I'd love to answer any of your questions and see what you're cooking!! Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below. Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube & Pinterest, and be sure to tag @fromscratchfast so that I can share your creations!
*This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links to products I use and love (from which I earn income, at no cost to you). Thank you or supporting From Scratch Fast!