This Mexican street corn salad is the perfect summertime side dish, or you can turn it into a main course with grilled shrimp or chicken. It's sweet, salty, smoky, crunchy and creamy, and it tastes like a lightened-up version of Mexican street corn!
Easy Mexican street corn salad recipe
Whenever we have sweet corn with dinner I always make a few extra cobs so that I can use the kernels later in the week. This Mexican street corn salad is our favorite way to use up leftover corn, but it’s also reason enough to cook it in the first place. The salad is inspired by Mexican street corn but tastes lighter and more vibrant, with a range of textures and tastes.
Creamy ancho dressing
The creamy but light ancho dressing is a cinch to make and ties everything together. Lime juice and mayonnaise provide the base for the dressing. They get whisked with garlic, smoked paprika and ancho chile powder for flavor. If you can't find ancho chile powder (which is simply ground ancho chilies) you can use a regular chili powder blend instead (which is a blend of ground chilies with other spices such as cumin and oregano). The dressing can be made several days ahead of time.
How to make Mexican corn salad
- Make the creamy ancho dressing.
- Toss cooked corn kernels (you can use boiled, steamed or grilled corn!) with peppery arugula, crunchy radishes and cilantro.
- Drizzle on the dressing, and toss to coat.
- Crumble salty cotija or feta cheese over the top of the salad, and garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds (which are optional). Serve!
How to serve Mexican street corn salad
The corn salad is fantastic on its own, or alongside grilled meats, fish or burgers. I love to pile it over pounded cooked chicken breasts for a Mexican take on chicken paillard. You can also serve it as a main course by topping the salad with shrimp or chicken!
Don't miss these other sweet corn recipes!
- Warm Elote Corn Dip with Jalapenos and Feta
- Pasta with Sweet corn and Bacon
- Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Muffins (Gluten Free Option)
Other recipes to try:
- Easy Homemade Grits
- Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Shrimp
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- The Best Oven Baked French Fries
- Pan Fried Falafel
- Oven Grilled Cheese
- Blender Tomato Soup
Get the recipe!
Mexican Street Corn Salad with Creamy Ancho Dressing
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups cooked corn kernels (about 4 cobs)
- 3 handfuls baby arugula
- 4-5 radishes, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta or cotija cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
Make the dressing
- In a small bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice and grated garlic clove. Whisk in the mayonnaise, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the salad
- In a large bowl, toss the corn kernels with the arugula, radishes and cilantro. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the feta or cotija cheese and the pumpkin seeds (if using); serve it up!
- This is a great way to use up leftover cooked corn. You could use steamed, boiled or grilled corn. If the corn is really fresh and sweet you can even use it raw!
- If you can't find ancho chile powder (which is just ground ancho chilies) you can use a chili powder blend instead (which is a mix of ground chilies with other spices).
I'd love to answer any of your questions and see what you're cooking!! Don't forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below. Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube & Pinterest, and be sure to tag @fromscratchfast so that I can share your creations!