This cold cucumber soup is one of my FAVORITE speedy lunches or appetizers on sweltering days! With cucumbers, buttermilk, jalapeño, herbs and lemon juice, it’s a vivacious, healthy meal that will chill things down during the dog days of summer.
Cold cucumber soup without the wait
Unlike most chilled soups, which require hours of refrigeration before eating, this cucumber soup can be served straight out of the blender. That means you’re just minutes away from one of the most refreshing soups on the planet! The recipe comes from my first Bluprint class, Make the Most of Your Blender. The trick is to use cold ingredients straight from the fridge. All you do is throw everything in the Vitamix or blender, and let it do its thing. Once it’s creamy and smooth, pour the soup into bowls and top it with drizzle of good quality olive oil and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt (the salt is optional, but it provides a lovely crunch and pop of flavor).
Cucumber soup with buttermilk
This soup gets creaminess and body from buttermilk. Buttermilk is a low-fat cultured milk that I love to use in biscuits and dressings (like the creamy Greek dressing in this recipe). If you don’t have it, you can use a mix of half plain yogurt and half milk, or you can use kefir.
Serve right away or save
While this chilled cucumber soup is delicious straight from the blender, you can also store it for up to 1 day. Pack it up for a healthy lunch on the go, or serve it as an elegant first course at dinner! Just be sure to blend it briefly before serving, as the soup will separate in the fridge.
For another summertime Vitamix favorite, don’t miss these easy homemade Blizzards!
Put your blender to work this summer for things other than smoothies! My Bluprint class features a ton of other blender and Vitamix recipes, from pancakes and crepes, to a frozen watermelon drink/dessert that will blow you away, to homemade blueberry jam and even ice cream.
Get the recipe!
5-Minute Cold Cucumber Soup
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 small green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds seedless (English) cucumbers (about 2 large cucumbers), coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped dill, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Champagne vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for serving
- Flaky sea salt for serving, optional
- Place the buttermilk, garlic cloves, jalapeño, green onions, cucumbers, dill, lemon juice, Champagne vinegar and sugar in a blender. Season with salt and pepper. Blend on high until smooth.
- Add the olive oil and blend until combined. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately or chill for up to 1 day. Drizzle each bowl with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with flaky sea salt before serving.
- If you’re serving this soup right away, make sure that all of your fresh ingredients are cold, straight from the refrigerator.
- If you don’t have buttermilk you can use 1/2 cup plain yogurt and 1/2 cup milk instead, or you can use kefir.
- Feel free to swap out the dill for other tender herbs, such as basil and/or chervil.
- Drizzle the soup with the best quality olive oil you have. A sprinkle of flaky sea salt adds a burst of flavor and crunch, but it’s optional.
- While this chilled cucumber soup is delicious straight from the blender, you can also store it for up to 1 day. Pack it up for a healthy lunch on the go, or serve it as an elegant first course at dinner! Just be sure to blend it briefly before serving, as the soup will separate in the fridge.
I’d love to hear what you’re cooking, and I’m happy to answer any questions! #FromScratchFast
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you purchase a product through a link you clicked on here, I receive a portion of the sale (at no cost to you). Thank you for supporting FromScratchFast!!